Collaboration refers to working together to archive a goal. It is the process where two or more people or organizations work together to archive common or shared goals. Collaboration involves a deep, collective determination to reach an identical objective.
A team is a group of people linked in a common purpose. So, teams that work collaboratively can obtain greater resources, recognition and reward when facing competition for future resources.
Meaning of a Team
A Team is a group of people / individuals linked in a common purpose.
A group of people in this sense is two or more people who interact with one another, share similar characteristics and collectively have a sense of oneness or unity. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allow each member to maximize his or her strength, knowledge to achieve a common purpose or goal.
Members of any team need to learn how to help one another, help other team members realize their potentials and create an enabling environment that allows everyone to go beyond their limitations. No wonder it us therefore necessary and important for team members to pay attention to how their team operates or functions. This will help them to plan for effective communication and sharing of responsibilities. An effective team has a clear purpose or goal and belief in itits ability to achieve that goal or purpose.
Types of teams
• Interdependent teams : This is a type of team in which no significant task can be accomplished without the help and cooperation of any of the members. Here, team members typically specialize in different tasks and the success of the team members is bound to the success of the whole team.
• Project team : This type is used only for a defined period of time and for a separate purpose. Members of these teams might belong to different groups, but receive assignment to activities the same project thereby allowing outsiders to see them as a single unit.
• Sport team : This is a group of people which play a sport together.
Members include all players as well as support members such as the coach or manager. A good example is the football team such as Super Eagles of Nigeria, Super falcons etc
• Virtual team : This is a group of people who work interdependently and with shared purpose across space, time and organizational boundaries using technology to communicate and collaborate. Members of this team can be located across a country or across the world.
Advantage of collaborative team
The following are some advantages of collaborative team.
1. Each member of the team has ownership and commitment to set goal.
2. It brings about success in implementation of plans.
3. Members are able to share knowledge and expertise.
4. There is flow of new ideas as a result of interaction between members of the team.
5. It brings about success in the achievement of goals.