CHARACTERISTICS OF A CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT
- EQUALITY BEFORE THE LAW: Constitutionalism
emphasises the fact that nobody is above the law irrespective of the person’s position or
- LIMITATION IN THE EXERCISE OF FUNCTIONS: This means that the
actions of those who govern should not be absolute. There is constitutional limitations in the exercise of their functions.
- FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHTS: It promotes the
protection of the citizens fundamental human rights.
- POPULAR SOVEREIGNTY: The concept of
constitutionalism enhance the right of every adult to vote and be voted for at
any political elections.
INDEPENDENCE: It means that only the constitutional
courts can enforce the,people’s rights like high courts,
appeal courts and the supreme court The application of
the principle of separation of powers
- Equal political
rights to vote and be voted for
- There should be an
effective process of changing government
- The existence of free press