OPERATING THE MICROSCOPE
Now that you are conversant with the microscopes and their parts let us now consider the operation of the microscope. The proper way to operate your microscope is to start t focus with the lowest power objective lens (OB) while you look through the side and move the lens down as close to the slide without touching it. Next, you look through the eyepiece lens and focus upward only until the image is sharp. If you cannot get it in focus, repeat the process over. When
you have a sharp image at low power lens, you turn the revolving nosepiece (RN) to click the next higher power lens and do a minor
adjustments with the fine focus knob.
Continue with subsequent objective lenses and fine focusing each time.
HANDLING AND CARE OF THE MICROSCOPE
It is important at this stage to know that a good quality microscope is unbelievably expensive! Therefore, you must observe the general procedures and precautions when handling your microscope.
1. Always carry your microscope with one hand on the Arm (AR) and one hand on the Base (BA), and close to your body.
2. Plug the microscope in and place excess wire on the table.
3. Always start and end focusing with low power Objectives lens (OB)
4. Always make sure the stage and lenses are clean before you put away the microscope.
5. Always use good quality lens tissue to clean before you put away the microscope.
6. Always cover your microscope with a dust jacket when not in.