Hi guys, I will love to make samosa one of this days since I find myself in love with the snack. Since am in Nigeria, can anyone around teach me how to make Nigerian samosa?
- make the samosa dough
- wrap/fold samosa
- make small chops samosa
- samosa and spring roll
- make samosa sauce; and finally
- the recipe for potato samosa
I just can’t wait to be able to prepare samosa myself, I and almost everyone around me loves taking it
Since no one is online to teach me, i did a little research and came up with this recipe, i followed it and the snack was nice, i can say; I enjoyed it.
Ingredients for making Nigerian Samosa
listed below are all the ingredients you’ll need to prepare your samosa, you may require two set of ingredients to do this (the dough and filling ingredients)
For the Filling, you’ll need the following:
- 200g minced beef/chicken
- 2 medium Irish potatoes
- 2 medium carrots(optional)-
- 2 handfuls of green peas
- 1 long stalk of spring onion OR minced onion
- 1 tiny garlic/a pinch of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 stock cube
- 2 cooking spoonfuls of vegetable oil
- chilli pepper
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying the Samosas
while you will need the following ingredients for the dough:
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Warm water
- Half teaspoon of spice (thyme or any other)
- 120g flour
- A pinch of salt
How to make Samosa Dough
- Pour flour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add warm water, salt and vegetable oil.
- Mix until you have a smooth, stretchy dough.
- Cover mixture with an airtight plastic wrap and leave to breathe for 15 minutes, then knead the dough to make it more stretchy.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to a thickness of about 2-3mm.
- Cut the dough in circles. You can use the tip of a round glass bowl if you do not have a circular dough cutter.
- Cut those circles in two equal halves and smudge water on the straight part of the semi-circular dough. Don’t close it yet.
- Put a spoonful of the filling into the dough.
- Repeat until all the dough is finished.Heat up vegetable oil in medium heat.
- Make sure the oil is not too hot for it.
- Fry until the colour changes to light brown.
- Place the fried samosa on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
How to make Samosa filling
- Cut the spring onions into thin circles and set aside
- Wash and peel the Irish potatoes and carrots. Cut into very tiny bits and cook in salted water for 5 minutes.
- If using fresh peas, add it to the carrots and potatoes and cook for 5 more minutes until all the vegetables are soft. Strain and set aside.
- Heat up the oil in a pot, add the spring onions garlic, curry, black pepper(if you’re using it) and stir-fry for few seconds
- Frying the spices, releases their natural flavors and oils.
- Add the minced meat/chicken. Stir-fry the meat until the colour changes from pink to a pale colour.
- Add the stock cubes, chilli pepper and salt to taste. Then add the cooked vegetables.
Mix thoroughly, Set aside and leave to cool.
I believe you have just prepared the best Samosa in town, take a bite and tell me how it tastes.
NB: The samosa may test a little different on your first try, take note of any difference in taste and adjust your ingredients to make it up when next you try it out.