I was given this assignment in by a Nigerian guy after a long debate; please what are the subdivisions of anatomy and physiology and how many are they?
ANATOMY is the study of the STRUCTURES and the relationships among structures.
PHYSIOLOGY is the study of the FUNCTIONS of those structures.│
SUBDIVISIONS OF ANATOMY:
I don’t know if there are more but so far, I know about ten branches of anatomy which are:
- GROSS ANATOMY: A type of anatomy that can be undertaken WITHOUT a MICROSCOPE.
- MICROSCOPIC ANATOMY: Requires the use of a MICROSCOPE (e.g. LIGHT or PHASE microscope)
- ULTRAMICROSCOPIC ANATOMY: requires the use of T.E.M. TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPY) or S.E.M.(SCANNING ELECTRON MICROSCOPY)
- REGIONAL ANATOMY: Studies specific REGIONS of the body. e.g. HEAD and NECK
- SYSTEMIC ANATOMY: Study of specific SYSTEM. e.g. DIGESTIVE and REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEMS.
- RADIOGRAPHIC ANATOMY: Study of the structure of the body using X -RAYS.
- CYTOLOGY: Microscopic study of the CELLS.
- HISTOLOGY: Microscopic study of the TISSUES; also known as microscopic anatomy.
- EMBRYOLOGICAL ANATOMY: Study of PRENATAL DEVELOPMENT.
- NON-INVASIVE IMAGING TECHNIQUES: MRI, CAT SCAN, PETSCAN, etc.
- PATHOLOGICAL ANATOMY: Study of STRUCTURAL CHANGE associated with DISEASE.
SUBDIVISIONS OF PHYSIOLOGY:
The main branches of physiology that I know of are:
- SYSTEMIC PHYSIOLOGY: Study of the FUNCTION of the SYSTEMS. e.g. RESPIRATORY SYSTEM, REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM, CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM.
- CELL PHYSIOLOGY: Study FUNCTION of the CELL.
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGY: Study the FUNCTION of NERVE CELLS.
- ENDOCRINOLOGY: Study of HORMONES and how they control BODY FUNCTIONS.
- IMMUNOLOGY: Study of the BODY DEFENSE MECHANISMS.