what best defines homeostasis; what are its three components and why is homeostasis important.
I’ll also love a brief note on feedback mechanism.
HOMEOSTASIS MEANING/DEFINITION: HOMEOSTASIS is an inner STABILITY of the body, even if the ENVIRONMENT OUTSIDE the BODY CHANGES.
- It is achieved when STRUCTURES and FUNCTIONS are
- The entire regulation process of HOMEOSTASIS is made possible by the COORDINATED ACTION of many ORGANS and TISSUES under the control of the NERVOUS and ENDOCRINE SYSTEMS.
- NOTE THAT when HOMEOSTASIS breaks down, we become SICK or DIE.
- One way to disrupt HOMEOSTASIS is to introduce STRESS.
- STRESS is the overall disruption that forces the body to make ADAPTIVE CHANGES.
- Factors causing stress are called STRESSORS. e.g. HEAT, COLD, VIRUSES, MENTAL DISTURBANCES, HORMONES.
- FEEDBACK SYSTEM: is a response to the INITIATING STIMULUS It can be POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE.
- NEGATIVE FEEDBACK: When the response is OPPOSITEto the initiating stimulus. e.g. Increased production of HEAT by the body to oppose the effect of COLD weather.
- POSITIVE FEEDBACK: When the response REINFORCES the initial stimulus. e.g. When blood glucose level DECREASES, the response of positive feedback is to DECREASE it further.
POSITIVE FEEDBACK LEADS TO DEATH, EXCEPT IN CASES SUCH AS CHILD DELIVERY and a few other examples.