- On Jesus’ way
to Jerusalem, a man volunteered to follow him.
- Jesus told him that
foxes have holes and the birds have nests,
- But the Son of man has
nowhere to lay his head,
- Jesus then asked another man to follow
- But the man replied that he should be allowed to go and bury his
- Then Jesus said that the dead should be left to bury their dead,
- He went further that the man should go and preach the gospel,
third man said, “Lord, I will follow, but let me first bid farewell to my
- Jesus then remarked that no one who puts his hand on
the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom.
Demands of Discipleship:
- Total sacrifice (both physical and spiritual),
- Instant action, no delay/urgency,
- Complete loyalty to God.
- Not counting the cost and
willingness to abandon everything else.